The survey aimed to assess trends and beliefs in the management of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR) amongst orthopaedic surgeons in India.
A survey was created and distributed among the various orthopaedic surgeons from India. The questionnaire included brief details of surgeons and their experience, clinical assessment, management strategies and the rehabilitation protocol.
135 surgeons completed the survey. 35% of them were having experience of more than 12 years. A large number of surgeons were from government academic institutes (35.5%). The most common criteria for deciding about surgery was Clinical evaluation (94.8%). The most common graft choice was hamstring tendon (94%), and suspensory fixation on the femur side and interference screw on the tibial side (80%) is the most common fixation method. Almost two-thirds of surgeons in this survey use bracing to protect ACL graft in the initial phase.
We presented the preferences amongst the group of surgeons on the management of ACL injuries. Hamstring tendon graft remains the most preferred graft for ACL reconstruction. Further, the suspensory loop on the femoral side and interference screw on the tibial side are the preferred fixation method. This group of surgeons is conservative in terms of the timing of surgeries and post-operative bracing. Level of evidence Level V, Expert Opinion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Use these links to purchase access
Purchase access to this article Visit ScienceDirect.
If you are a member of the Delhi Orthopaedics Association (DOA), claim your access now.
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- ACL injuries in men's professional football: a 15-year prospective study on time trends and return-to-play rates reveals only 65% of players still play at the top level 3 years after ACL rupture.Br J Sports Med. 2016 Jun 1; 50: 744-750
- The epidemiology of knee injuries in English professional rugby union.Am J Sports Med. 2007 May; 35: 818-830
- Incidence of anterior cruciate ligament injury among active duty US military servicemen and servicewomen.Mil Med. 2007 Jan 1; 172: 90-91
- Original study: early patient-reported functional outcome of all-inside ACL reconstruction as compared to anteromedial portal technique.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2021 Feb 25; : 1-7
- Systematic review: annual incidence of ACL injury and surgery in various populations.Res Sports Med. 2012 Jul 1; 20: 157-179
- Current concepts for injury prevention in athletes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Am J Sports Med. 2013 Jan; 41: 216-224
- Factors affecting return to play after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a review of the current literature.Phys. Sport. 2014 Nov 1; 42: 71-79
- Low re-rupture rate with BPTB autograft and semitendinosus gracilis autograft with preserved insertions in ACL reconstruction surgery in sports persons.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2018 Aug; 26: 2381-2388
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction rehabilitation: MOON guidelines.Sport Health. 2015 May; 7: 239-243
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Sports Med Arthrosc Rev. 2018 Dec 1; 26: 165-167
- Outcomes following ACL reconstruction based on graft type: are all grafts equivalent?.Curr Rev Musculoskelt Med. 2019 Dec; 12: 460-465
- Original report: transtibial and transportal techniques of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction provide similar functional outcome: a comparative study conducted at an armed forces hospital.J Mar Med Soc. 2018 Jul 1; 20: 100
- Accelerated rehabilitation after anterior cruciate ligam.ent reconstruction.Am J Sports Med. 1990 May; 18: 292-299
- Clinical and functional outcomes and proprioception after a modified accelerated rehabilitation program following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with patellar tendon autograft.Acta Orthop Traumatol Turcica. 2010 Sep; 44: 220-228
- An international survey on anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction practices.Int Orthop. 2013 Feb; 37: 201-206
- ACL Study Group presents the global trends in ACL reconstruction: biennial survey of the ACL Study Group.J ISAKOS. 2021 Nov; 6 (Epub 2021 Jul 16. PMID: 34272329): 322-328https://doi.org/10.1136/jisakos-2020-000567
- Current status of ACL reconstruction in Germany.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2016 May; 136: 593-603
- Incidence and risk factors of joint stiffness after Anterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction.J Orthop Surg Res. 2020 Dec; 15 (0): 1
- The optimal timing for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with respect to the risk of postoperative stiffness.Arthrosc J Arthrosc Relat Surg. 2013 Mar 1; 29: 556-565
- Web-based survey results: surgeon practice patterns in Italy regarding anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and rehabilitation.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017 Aug; 25: 2520-2527
- Graft choices for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Indian J Orthop. 2015; 49.2: 127
- Current practices in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in the US military: a survey of the society of military orthopaedic surgeons.Mil Med. 2019 Jan 1; 184: e249-e255
- Surgical technique trends in primary ACL reconstruction from 2007 to 2014.J Bone Joint Surg. 2016 Jul 6; 98: 1079-1089
- ACL Study Group survey reveals the evolution of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction graft choice over the past three decades.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2021 Jan 24; : 1-6
- ACL reconstruction basics: quadruple (4-strand) hamstring autograft harvest.Arthrosc Tech. 2017 Aug 1; 6: e1309-e1313
- The effect of immediate weightbearing after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998 Dec 1; : 141-148
- Outcome of hamstring autograft with preserved insertions compared with free hamstring autograft in anterior cruciate ligament surgery at 2-year follow-up.Arthrosc J Arthrosc Relat Surg. 2017 Dec 1; 33: 2208-2216
- Return to play and long-term participation in pivoting sports after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Am J Sports Med. 2019 Dec; 47: 3339-3346
- Current trends in reconstruction surgery and rehabilitation of anterior cruciate ligament in Turkey.Acta Orthop Traumatol Turcica. 2010 Nov 1; 44: 458-463
- Current ACL practices in the UK: a postal survey of BASK members.InOrthopaedic Proceedings. 2008 Aug; 90 (583). The British Editorial Society of Bone & Joint Surgery): 583
Published online: March 17, 2023
Accepted: March 15, 2023
Received in revised form: January 19, 2023
Received: March 23, 2022
© 2023 Delhi Orthopedic Association. All rights reserved.